Tonight is Xmas eve but I'm not listening to carols. Not because I don't like carols, it's just that I don't like Xmas. New Year's celebrations with hope for the coming year is more up my alley, although I'm not optimistic that 2026 will be any better than 2025.
My littler sister got me rolling with a stunning new piece which I know means a lot to her, so I include it here:
This exciting gift from Chris set me thinking... why not share some favourite music around?
So just to start the ball rolling, I went on a journey through some of my personal favourites which are on my YouTube special list.
You may know a few of them but I don't expect you will know all of them.
They range from singers to instrumentalists, male and female performers, solos and duets!
From many parts of the wide world.
Why don't we just start with this most unusual number...
"Tonada De Luna Llena"
Natalia Lafourcade with Gustavo Guerrero
I have a great admiration for songs from Latin America, all over!
Many friends have sent me gifts which have changed my life, introducing
me to new artists performing songs which may not be new, but like
"Tonada De Luna Llena" were new to me. Lila Downs, Chavela Vargas,
and Elis Regina.
How about this wonderful song "Atrás da Porta" by Elis Regina?
But I also love guitar music from all round the world.
Many different styles of music from folk to classical, from performers of
many different nationalities.
Here's a classicalpiece played by very fine guitarist,Drew Henderson,
"Zapateado"by Joaquin Rodrigo from "Tres Piezas Españolas"
And another famous guitar solo played by Kyuhee Park
"Choros N°1" - by Heitor Villa Lobos
In case you're thinking I'm just stuck on classical guitar (and why not?) I would
like to introduce a piece from Gotan Project, I'm sure you all know it.
I love this video clip for many reasons beyond the musicality, I find it quite
unusual in style and structure and I think it informs the music obliquely...
How about this lovely crazy duet by Nikita Koshkin...
Scott Joplin eat your heart out!
Koshkin Guitar Duo Ragtime (Cambridge Suite)
(Asya Selyutina and Olga Kamornik)
Finally, this lovely video made by one of our friends Camelia Mirescu.
The aria is one of my operatic favourites, I first heard it sung
by my grandmother, Gertrude Pippey when I was very young.
Over the years I also heard it performed by many famous
divas, and then I discovered that Camelia had made a tribute
film to Romanian-born mezzo-soprano Elena Cernei, it seems
like that was yesterday but I guess it was about 10 years ago.
"Printemps qui commence..."
from "SAMSON ET DALILA" by Camille Saint-Saëns
Well folks, I hope you enjoy some of the offerings!
Eyeless in Gaza... Footnotes: I wanted to leave these images up clear of any text. My friend Richard suggested we should acknowledge the sources so I've made a big effort to track them down out of respect for the incredible job they do, and especially for their courage, working in the dangerous zones where so many aid workers and journalists have lost their lives. But some are not credited on the pages of publications I drew them from. Here's a list I've just completed, numbered from the image No.1 at top of page down to the final one, No.9 1. Abdulqader Sabbah/Anadolu 2: Mohammed Dahman/AP 3. P hotograph: Anadolu Agency/Anadolu/Getty Images 4. Photo: WFP/Ali Jadallah 5. April 18, 2024. (AFP) 6: Mahmoud Issa: Reuters: Redux 7. Photographer: Mahmud Hams/AFP/Getty Images 8. P hotographer: Anadolu Agency/Anadolu/Get...
Vale Ken! A farewell to muffin@labyrinth Last week I received this sad note from Inge, a close friend of Ken Mogg: Dear Peter, Just a sad note that our friend Ken Mogg passed away yesterday, 2nd Feb 2023. He had been in and out of hospital with breathing problems, was not eating properly, and had gone into a care home just recently, maybe a week or so ago. His sister rang me and said he had passed away peacefully yesterday. I hope you are well. Love -- Inge. Ken and Inge made the effort to attend a screening when some of my films were shown at the AFW workshop some years ago. (Photo taken by Bill Mousoulis) So many years have passed since I first met Ken at film screenings at the Bughouse in Carlton, the MUFS screenings and Melbourne Film Festival screenings in the late sixties. We got to know each other better when we shared an office for about a year at Melbourne State College, 1974. We shared a great enthusiasm for the works of many directors but foremost was our l...
Darko has recently introduced me to multimedia artist Maria Korporal. Of Dutch origin, Maria lived in Italy for many years but she has lived and worked in Berlin since 2014 . Her artistic production includes video art, interactive projects, installations. Her multimedia work has been designed using a wide variety of techniques. The narrative aspect, both personal and social, plays a major role in her work which together with the directness of the images and the sounds leads to greater participation of the viewer. In her work she plays with virtuality and reality, with undergone and artificially generated experiences. Most of her projects deal with social and environmental issues, often with an ironic approach. A good example is her project Korporal Zoo , a series of video works made between 2010 and 2018, which observe the animal and human world from several perspectives: cultural, social, environmental. Over the last two years Maria experienced the...
Comments
Post a Comment