Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Following from the last post... something very special:

While I was chatting with my friend Darko about the visual patterns created by variations of frequency, he mentioned Tan Dun, a Chinese composer who works with water sounds.


Here's what Darko wrote:

"Tan Dun's compositional origins reach toward traditional ritualistic washings and later (we may call it cultivised) so called "theatrical, public washings" and that is main reason he uses natural elements as instruments (water, paper and stones) with pseudo shamanic motions behind the scenes and incorporating some of classical Chinese string instruments into his arragements. 

The piece I attended during one of Zagreb's musical biennales was his opera "Marco Polo", a hard to "swallow" modernistic extravaganza with deep poliitcal background.

After Chen Kaige's movies (e.g., "Farewell My Concubine", 1993) Tan Dun's theatrical work is, in my opinion, the most relevant "high culture" connection between China and European states." 


So that little lead from Darko put me on a search for Tan Dun and his music and here's one special performance I stumbled upon:





Thanks for the great lead Darko!
PT

2 comments:

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...