Wednesday, December 15, 2021

"Four Women at a Bar" by Kim Miles

First of all, a hearty congratulations to David King for his two extremely successful programmes 

"Exploratory Visions" recently streamed via "The Screening Room", SALTO 1 TV . 

This film by our friend Kim Miles really took me by surprise:

"Four Women at a Bar"    (4.21'  avant garde)  Kim Miles  (Australia)

Four Women at a Bar from kim miles on Vimeo.

David has made a break from his previous regular festival which used to be held before the era of Covid at the Bellarine Peninsula in November each year. I think it's great that his passion for avant garde work has been supported by the Netherlands team at SALTO 1 TV


Here's what David has to say about the film:

"I liked Kim's Four Women at a Bar from the moment I first saw it a few years ago. I liked the lighting, the camera angles the bizarre style, and the actors themselves who seemed to relish their roles. 

I had included films by Kim in my previous Animation + Experimental + Avant Garde film programs for the North Bellarine Film Festival and wanted to wanted to include a film by Kim in this year's Exploratory Visions program on The Screening RoomFour Women at a Bar was it.

When it was time to promote the film, I realized that, due to my profound hearing loss, I had no idea what the four women were bickering or bitching about about. They certainly seemed to be bickering or bitching about something. So I asked Kim. 

What she told me (see her notes) proved my instincts about the film were spot on. I was now even happier about having chosen the film for my program and pleased to learn that Kim had also begun to see it through new eyes and appreciate what she had done."


Here's what Kim sent David: 


What’s it all about?! Nothing and everything! It’s abstract, I cut and pasted the dialogue William Burroughs style, some of it was Nick Cave lyrics. It’s women staring at a male sex object, then whinging about problems in life. Surreal. Pointless. Going nowhere in the modern world . Alcohol. Stupid. Passive. Longing. The dance club music track has a rhythmic squeak on it which is the altered sound of a woman groaning during sex. They are asleep...  will they wake up? Will society wake up.  Zen. 



NOTES:

PT to DJK


Let me suggest to you David that you might post a few more items from either Programme 1 or 2, but I don't know if you can get the filmmaker's permission to do so.

pt





     

4 comments:

  1. I can certainly ask some of them, Peter. I wonder if any other Fiends of the Armchair Traveller saw the program or any part of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I will ask around for us David, in my next email which will mention your programme and Kim's film. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David and Peter for those interesting and kind words. We filmed a fair bit in the Railway Hotel in Brunswick. Interesting spaces there and that was always a starting point for me.....space then idea. Even watching today I find something interesting about the Female Gaze watching the parading male but their stillness is strange. And I always loved my high contrast pale faces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, I have watched it recently o David-s web revue list...

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...