Sunday, September 11, 2022

"The Mythical Video That Grew Itself" by D. J. King


 The Mythical Video That Grew Itself


This video began as a record of the rather amazing garden we have 

at our place in the Victorian seaside town of Portarlington, Australia. 



The original title was Avant Garde(n) but someone else 

had already used that title for their work so I dropped it.

The video sat in my editing system for a long time, largely 

because I couldn't come up with a suitable sound track for it.


Every time I looked in on it, it had mysteriously grown new 

images. More and more new images until the original video 

was just a distant memory and our garden had become 

an even more amazing and magical place.


But one day it stopped growing new images!


It remained exactly the same each time I looked in on it  

so I knew it was 'finished'. 


But it still didn't have a sound track worth squat.


Recently Peter Tammer asked to see it again. He'd seen the original

video or something close to it, and he volunteered to do the deed.

So together, Peter and I are now pleased to present 


The Mythical Garden of Smythe Street.






3 comments:

  1. My favorite scene is the fish pond !

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and Peter, this is a terrific little film, I enjoyed it a lot. DAVID - good to see a lot of straight shots from you this time around, but when you do go into the supers, they are really subtle and inventive, and complement the straight shots really well. PETER - the soundtrack you have compiled together is exquisite, with its different layers, and then all the sync points were spot on, not just at the obvious cuts, but in relation to the editing as well, its pace and feel. Very nice film !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Bill. I don't get much praise from you so I'll enjoy it this time. I'm sure Peter will also be chuffed by your positive comments re his sound track (which I love, by the way) Cheers!

      Delete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...