Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Headspace Overload!

Over the past few months my friend Richard has been experimenting with his new camera, filming the wildlife he encounters on the walks and rides near his home in MITCHAM, suburban Melbourne.


This image will give you an idea of some of the lovely creatures which can be found in his neighbourhood.

 



Silvereye


Many emails have passed between us over the past few months concerning new cameras, editing platforms, upscaling , all the pros and cons. Richard bought his new camera kit specifically to follow and develop his photographic and filming interests. I've been buying things like Topaz Photo Enhance AI, dabbling with Photoshop, and every new item either of us purchases requires us to come to terms with new procedures, a steep learning curve.


One of Richard's objectives was to own a camera which would give super results for filming wildlife. His suburb is a nature wonderland rich in birdlife from the tiniest creatures like the Silvereye and Pardalote up to Magpies, Rosellas, Lorikeets etc., maybe even Eagles. As yet Richard has not sent me any pics of a Wedge Tailed Eagle patrolling his locale.



 Grey Fantail  (fanning)


Rainbow Lorikeet


Here's a link to the Yarran Dheran Nature Reserve
where Richard finds these lovely creatures


Richard has formed a connection with other birdwatchers in his local area and he described an exchange he had with a chap named Neil in which the word "arty" came up. That led to a long discussion between us concerning the many putdowns reserved for works which people do not like or understand and which they want to disparage as much as they can, so terms like "arty farty" and "pretentious" are frequently employed. My take on this argument is that there is no art without some sort of pretension, great art often aspires to the sublime, therefore such art remains open to the ridicule of people who think it is too arty or precious. They seem to prefer everything to be just practical, plain or ordinary except when it comes to their desire for exotic clothes, sleek cars, expensive hairstyles or in the case of our AFL sporting heroes, elaborate tattoos covering vast areas of their natural skin.


Over the years Richard and I have shared busy interactions on so many topics of common interest, probably a bit more than he can handle. Being retired I have heaps of spare time while others may not! I’ve always thought Richard to be indefatigable but it seems that recently I've sent him too many emails and posts.

 


Peter, here it is. Unedited… I don’t mind if you correct anything which doesn’t read well. Pretty close to stream-of-consciousness from me, it’s prob a bit long and rambly. Anyway, I'll hand it over as is to do as you wish.

I’ve been having some problems getting around to many things you sent recently because I just don't have enough time. I guess the simplest way to summarise all this is to say, I’m busy and some of these works just don’t fit in my headspace.

That’s the guts of it.

First I have calls on my time from my family and work, and these take up a considerable amount of my daily activities. This includes trivial things as well as serious sharing of literature and films. Saturday evenings are reserved for viewing films both modern and classical as a family event. All are avid readers and we give the local library a lot of business.

Then I have my own internet activities which are mainly reserved for evenings and into the the night, among which is a constant flow from the Armchair Traveller including postings and emails which cover every subject under the sun, and even beyond!

So when you send me something from some strange person I barely know and will probably never meet, meaning no disrespect for his work at all, I might feel "Why do I want to take this on?" There's more than enough going on in my head and I just can't keep loading up.

As I think I mentioned in my brain dump, I guess I’m mostly drawn to the things with which I have most connection. Which is why I WILL consider some of the things you send me… eventually!


OKAY, so that email was from a few weeks back! It’s clear that Richard has many things which fill up his life and like many of us he’s inundated with items seeking to drag his attention.


Headspace overload!


Then Richard sent me a few more pics and flicks from his outings with his new camera:




Grey Fantail, Mullum Mullum Valley
 
(Wonderings of a novice urban twitcher)

As you can see from that clip on a few moments from the Grey Fantail's athletic feeding habit, Richard selected a camera with long lenses and a lovely slow-motion capability, otherwise he would struggle to capture anything useful about the activity of this speedy tiny creature.


But there are also many other species in Richard's suburban locale:




Superb Fairy Wren




Common Bronzewing



Despite all the activities Richard had listed above we've had numerous discussions about film directors like Godard, his films "Vivre Sa Vie" and "Breathless" which were mentioned in a recent blog on this site. Richard was tossing up between these two films and finally decided to share "Breathless" with his family for their Saturday evening movie of the week. That screening provided many interesting responses:


- “ah now I know why I hate the French so much” (haha - yes, the main bloke was VERY unlikeable to this mostly female audience)


- “I got through it knowing it was ‘educational’ (in terms of film art history and culture)


- “the French are just obsessed by sex!”


- “I thought it was predictable and so overdone… until I remembered that it was           from 1960 and that all of these techniques were probably unheard of back then,       so that was good”


Then Richard sent me the following email over the weekend:

 


In the past week with a few ‘downtime’ hours to spare, I rediscovered this list I’d earmarked from who knows where or when. What a delight! From the creative quirks of stop-motion tribute docos, to the surprise-twists of a Russian mother-and-son narrative (which made me fall-in-love with down-the-barrel filming again… now considering my own mirror-box rig to achieve the effect!), I’d suggest that at least half of these will spark some some interest amongst any weary Armchair Traveller and friends.


https://www.monsterchildren.com/12-documentary-shorts-everyone-should-watch/


One that really hit a chord with me was this short, “A View from the Window”. And here’s why.


I’ve avoided docos for years. They’ve all become too depressing, many too clever for their own good at simply articulating the problems of the world, in fact, in this list, ’American Psychosis’ fits this mould perfectly. I have enough to deal with in life, I have enough ideas and opinions to cram into one tiny mind, and more than enough devastation to deal with in the media-torrent of bad news. I don’t want or need more. But this! THIS piece takes me back to what I first loved about docos — even as a child in primary school watching a fairly inconsequential observational doco called ‘A City Awakens’ – this possibility of cracking open a window into another world I hadn’t previously considered. Simple, understated, quietly observed, a crack of light out of my own headspace to somewhere I hadn’t thought before, a crack of light in a tortured world.


A local Melbourne poet I love wrote about the rebellion of finding beauty in a world falling to pieces (pic attached). Very much how I feel. In fact this is what inspires me in any creative work I do. And it’s what I most enjoyed about this short, this view, this window into another world. Kudo Chris Filippone.


https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch6Tz2IJddg/


Enjoy the list.


RL








7 comments:

  1. Richard's contribution: how refreshing - it's lovely to read words that are personal and also convey ideas and emotions that were unformed before I read them. Thanks. It's a rare 'Breath of Fresh Air'. Thanks also for referring me to the Monster kid's documentaries. And the birds. I sent a link for the fantail to my band of friends in India. Bravo.

    Tom Cowan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah excellent, that's great Tom. I hope they enjoy the birds and the Monster kids!

      Delete
  2. Now that Tom has sent it on to his band of friends in India it will go viral Richard!
    pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see these superb photos, with their gentle curiosity about our tiny local inhabitants, appreciated by a wider audience than the Mitcham community

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for recommending those short docs. I watched A View From A Window. Then after reading your blog and Rich's comments considered a few things. How I sometimes take for granted the senses that I do have. His beautiful photos, those glorious birds. Then my ire was raised when I recalled the legal cull on the tiny silver eye birds, see pestsmart.org.au. Then another thought while watching View From a Window, do deaf people hand sign over one another? Such as speaking people often talk over each other. Enjoyed your blog and my resulting mindscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I did a double-take on your 'culling Silver eyes'. How appalling! I was out with my birding expert nephew yesterday, learning about the shocking decline in so many of these smaller bird species, sped along by our relentless destruction of natural habitats and made worse by the habits of bully species like Noisy Miners. Thanks for your reflections.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks Annie. We're very lucky to have a small group of people who contribute to this blog a wide range of articles or posts covering many subjects and themes. We try to keep the door open to all contributors and we are averse to censorship so we publish everything which is offered. If you would like to contribute you are most welcome. Send me an email: ptammer65@gmail.com and we can discuss how to enable you as an author. The ongoing success of this blog depends heavily upon people like Richard, David, Darko, and many others who have supported it since my long gone Facebook days. I hope you accept this invitation Annie.
    Thanks, Peter

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...