Thursday, February 16, 2023

A brilliant experimental documentary by D.A Pennebaker

 David has sent us this piece by Drew Pennebaker:


Ian Gibbins, a South Australia-based experimental filmmaker and video poet drew my attention to this eye-popping film by D.A. Pennebaker when he posted it to Facebook. 


I knew of Pennebaker's work from back in the 1970's when I first encountered his name while at university. But I had no idea he had ever created anything as visually rhapsodic as this. 


Although different in several respects, it reminds me of Stan Brakhage's 'The Wonder Ring' which uses reflections in the window of a moving train to create a visual work of art.



Hope you enjoy it!

DJK

1 comment:

  1. THANKS DAVID, and also IAN. It's a superb film, much more poetic than Pennebaker's famous docos. If anyone would like to create a blog just about Pennebaker I would certainly welcome that!
    Or about any of your other favourite filmmakers.

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...