Saturday, March 25, 2023

"Cinema Reborn" 2023. From my friend Geoff Gardner



Five years ago I was honoured that the newly-formed festival "CINEMA REBORN" opened with my film "The Nude In The Window", a portrait film about Paul Cox and his life work.

Geoff Gardner has been a long time supporter of my work and for that I am most grateful. His great support has given me strength in times when my fortunes were very low. Today Geoff sent me this:

Hi Peter,

Here's the trailer for Cinema Reborn 2023 which goes on at the Ritz from 26 April-2 May. 

As the person who made the first ever film to be screened at Cinema Reborn, your film about Paul Cox was screened way back in 2018), I’m sure you continue to follow our fortunes. 

The trailer was made by young film-maker James Vaughan, a very active member of our Organising Committee and it uses the remarkable solo piano music by Oleg Karaivachuk which features on the soundtrack of Kira Muratova’s 1971 film THE LONG FAREWELL. 

Muratova was a Ukrainian director who worked in the Soviet Union. The Long Farewell was banned until Gorbachev’s Glasnost era started some 16 years after the film’s production. We think this may be the first time the film has been screened in Australia. We have received some exceptional programme notes about the film by Adrian Martin and we’ll publish those shortly. 

Programme and notes:

https://www.ritzcinemas.com.au/festivals/cinema-reborn-2023

https://filmalert101.blogspot.com/2022/12/cinema-reborn-december-newsletter.html


Best,

Geoff Gardner




3 comments:

  1. Seems a long time ago when The Nude in the Window went on. NSW premiere I think we billed it. That was a stellar year for us with Australian work. As well as yours we had digital restorations of films by Ian Dunlop, Dave Jones, Jane Campion and Corinne Cantrill + a vintage 35mm print of Mike Thornhill's Between Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE A POWERHOUSE, ANONYMOUS. I think everyone will know that was from Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps., if any of our friends have not yet seen my film "The Nude in the Window" but would like to see it, just send me an email and I'll send you a link from my drive.
    pt

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...