Tuesday, May 30, 2023

For Wheeler... a new post

 One thing I like about doing these posts is that they come and go from everywhere. This one began in some distant part of the USA when I bumped into the work of Wheeler via Vimeo.

Seems like just the other day  but it was about five years ago when I stumbled upon some of his work and also work by Gwendolyn. I had no idea then that they were partners in life and they had both responded to something I'd posted on Vimeo at the time. That was before the experiment with Facebook and the nightmare of Covid and before the onslaught of Ukraine by the Russian war criminals who are greatly upset that Ukraine might have made a tiny retaliation on Russian soil... can you beat that? 

Well Wheeler is prolific, it's really hard to keep up with the amount he puts out, but recently he responded to my little A Tree for Ukraine and we had another round of what are you up to these days?... you know the way it goes: 

"What have you been doing recently Wheeler?"

So he sent me Slip Stream:

Slip Stream from Wheeler Winston Dixon on Vimeo.

Well, what's it about? I leave that up to you, it will mean different things for every person. 

How does Wheeler come across such astonishing sources of imagery and sounds? By sheer hard work, tremendous research into the vaults of found footage and sources of audio... and then he finds a way to put it together, many different ways for so many different sources of inspiration.

One thing you can bet on, he ain't gonna run out of ideas any time soon! His areas of interest are all around us, issues which impinge upon all of us, and he just taps into new ones and old ones every other day. This time about the hop potato of AI. Everyone's worried about what AI is going to do in the near future, but what about what it is already doing everyday. It's not new folks, it's been around a while and it's been messing with all of us... we all use forms of AI every day, especially with out fascination for our mobiles and endless netsurfing. But the great fear is that there is much worse to come... I reckon that's a reasonable fear:

AI

AI from Wheeler Winston Dixon on Vimeo.


Now I'm going back to something I posted a long time ago

"Mob Mentality"

Mob Mentality from Wheeler Winston Dixon on Vimeo.

 I came across this work while surfing among Wheeler's huge output and it really grabbed me... such a dark piece which reminded me of so many sources, film noir movies, the photographs of Weegee and other "street photographers" of the forties and fifties, and all those novels which deal with unreasonable mass emotions, such as "To Kill A Mockingbird"... in some way Wheeler's "Mob Mentality" encapsulates them all. In just a few minutes of images and sound derived from "found" sources.

I must admit I'm envious of what Wheeler has done here, a brilliant HAIKU of film noir.

So just to end this little post on a different tone, a recent discovery 

"Ordinary Events"


It's very hard keeping up with you Wheeler, but thanks for making me try!


pt





















4 comments:

  1. A new collaboration between VASTLAB LIVESCORE - Dillon Bastan, Damon Ramirez, Threadbare Aristocrats, livescore of " Manifest Destiny" by Wheeler Winston Dixon -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little movies, I am following Wheeler's recent work and looking forward for more of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on all of them, Wheeler! Thanks fort posting, Peter!

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...