Monday, February 26, 2024

OLD PARTNERS AND NEW SENSATIONS (from our friend Darko)

Hi Folks, It's been a long time since my last post was published here. Let me keep the reasons for that interim period under the file “private”. But I have not been resting from making experimental movies since last spring. So I'll open this fresh post with three links for my most recent works:

 

 

When I already decided to return to creating posts for our blog, I simultaneously dug through my personal archive of the period before the coronavirus pandemic to find something of more general interest. Five years ago, during my last days as a programmer and presenter of new experimental cinematography at the Split Cinema Club, I contacted and met in person a lot of interesting people. For this occasion, I chose three (or four as the selection includes one artistic couple) exceptional authors, which I consider to be an excellent refreshment for this film blog.

JEFF ZORRILLA


http://www.jeffzorrilla.com/



Argentinian director with USA background, his work "Impossible Flowers" from 2019. was presented on 13th of September 2019. at the Cine Club Split as a part of my weekly "Short(s) Petting" programs there (and as an introduction playlist to “Cinema Pur Archive” projection in the main term that evening, together with David King/s "Lost in a Borgesian Labyrinth" from 2018 and the works directed by Takatoshi Arai, Matt T Helme, Ivan Li and the next person that I like to mention here:



USAMA ALSHAIBI  


https://usamaalshaibi.com/



Controversial Iraqi - American director whose works I have presented during two Friday evening (spring of 2019) terms at the Cine Club Split:


https://kinoklubsplit.hr/dogadanja/projekcija-usama-alshaibi-profane-obescascena-2011/


https://kinoklubsplit.hr/dogadanja/usama-alshaibi-solar-anus-cinema-shorts-2003-2008/


DANIEL AND CLARA


https://danielandclara.com/



Daniel and Clara are UK based artistic couple whose video projects I have also presented at the Cine Club five years ago during Dublin based "Experimental Film Society" president Rouzbeh Rashidi 3 day's visit for his remarkable film "Phantom Islands" (2018) promotion at the same place (Daniel and Clara acted in that one).


Please visit those directors web pages to get permissions for watching their VIMEO uploaded videos. Hope you`ll like them.

And for even more new sensations in the field of experimental film and video here are three screen prints and affiliated links for three extraordinary YouTube channels:










Exclusively for “Friends of the Armchair Traveller" blog - I just finished rendering my new experimental video and here it is:



And let me conclude this post with two of my photos taken during the summer of 2019:





That's all for this occasion Folks…


Greetings from the rainy town of Split; Croatia…


Darko Duilo














1 comment:

  1. Darko, I have no idea what you intended with the three videos 'Cold Stone Eye', 'Bouncing Apples' and 'Down the Road' so I can only give my impressions of how they came across to me.
    I liked the subtlety of 'Cold Stone Eye', the way the images changed so slowly, giving rise to a sense of expectation.
    'Bouncing Apples' reminded me vaguely of cinematic experiments in the early 1900s, and German expressionist work of the 1920's and 30's (probably due to the Brutalist architecture) .
    I found a distinctly science fiction vibe to 'Down the Road', almost 'Blade Runner"-ish in parts.
    It would be interesting too see what impressions others had of these films.

    ReplyDelete

The Upanishads

The Upanishads from my friend Tom  from the UPANISHADS from Tom Cowan on Vimeo . Tom and I have a friendship which goes back to 1962!  Al...